Sunday, November 14, 2010

What We've Been Reading This Week

1.  For the Children's Hour
by Carolyn S. Bailey
488 pgs. Yesterday's Classics
Originally published in 1906 by Milton Bradley Co.

We've been reading one story a day in the afternoon at tea/snack time.  Adrianna is surprising me with her understanding of the stories as well as with her increasing attention span to listen even with no pictures.  So far we've read the first three stories:

1.  The Little Grey Grandmother
This story was too advanced for both of them, however, I think I'll revisit it in a few years when I focus more on character.

2.  Grandmother's Curtains
Adrianna "got" this one and understood what the little girl was up to.

3.  Hans and the Wonderful Flower
This story sparked a great discussion on what we do if we were given a bag of precious jewels.  Adrianna would make jewelry.  Nate would put them in the money box at church.  Cute.



Edited by Olive Beaupre Miller

I had the very good fortune of stumbling across the ENTIRE 12 volume set of this beautiful series in Value Village.  I paid a grand total of $10 for the entire set!  I had never heard of this book series before but I could instantly tell that they were quality books.  Turns out I was right!  Owing to the value of the books, I keep them safe in my room and bring them out to read to the kids at bedtime.  Adrianna thoroughly enjoys the stories in Volume 2 and I thoroughly enjoy the beauty and quality of the book. 





3.  The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh
by A.A Milne.  illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard
344 pgs.  Dutton Children's Books

Another Value Village find.  I paid a grand total of $3.99!  Wow!
Adrianna (and occasionally Nate), really enjoys these stories.  I caught her "reading" them to Nate (narration!!).  Cute.  I enjoy remembering hearing these stories as a child.  Just classic wonderful.

We've read the first three stories.  It was delightful to watch Adrianna "get it" while reading "In Which Pooh and Piglet Go Hunting and Nearly Catch a Woozle".  All of a sudden she yelled - "it's them!  It's THEIR own footprints!"  awesome!


4.  Tickety Tock by Jason Robert Brown.  Illustrated by Mary GrandePre
32 pg.

I thought this story was beautiful!  Who doesn't want to go back in time and do things differently?  But, I think the concept was lost on my kids.  Nate liked the "tick tock clocks" and I think Adrianna liked the rhythm of the rhymes, but I was the one who liked the story.


5.  Frog and Toad Books
by Arnold Lobel

We are thoroughly enjoying these books also!  Both kids will sit and listen to the stories.  Such gentle and real friendships.  Such emotion.  So few words and yet so much conveyed.  Love it.





No comments:

Post a Comment