Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Raw Almond Milk and Almond Granola

Lately I've been making my own almond milk.  It is super easy and much more affordable and healthy than the preservative-laden store bought type.  There are many variations but this is the way that works for me.

Raw Almond Milk.

1.  Soak 1 cup of almonds overnight in water.  In the morning, drain and rinse the almonds.  This does something with the enzymes to make them more digestible.

2.  Warm 5 cups of water (NOT boiling).  Add 3 cups to the almonds and grind up in a blender or use an immersion blender (that's all I have) for2-3 minutes.  Strain the almond water with a fine strainer.

3.  Add the remaining 2 cups of warm water to the almond pulp and repeat above step.  There is your fresh 5 cups of almond milk. 

You can add a splash of vanilla if you like.  Or, if you like it sweeter, add some dates to the grinding up process.

I keep mine covered in the fridge for up to 5 days and drink it warm on granola.  Homemade almond granola.  Because I know the next question is "what do I do with all that almond pulp?"  I've experimented.  I put it into muffins - not so successful.  I've used it as a facial and body scrub - MESSY.  My solution - homemade almond granola.

Granola

Base Ingredients:
2 c. quick cooking oatmeal
leftover almond pulp (from almond milk) - make sure it is as dry as possible
ground flaxseed
1/3 c. oil - I use canola.  Coconut oil would be good if I could afford it.
1/3 c. honey
some kind of nut
some kind of seed

Creative Ingredients:
This is where it gets fun.  You can personalize it however you want.
I always add coconut
Wheat Germ would be good

Mix the above all together.  Spread evenly on a pan and cook at 300 until you feel it is the right consistency.  I like crunchy granola and the almond pulp is somewhat wet so I find my granola needs to cook for approx. 40-50 minutes to get to the right consistency for me. 

After the granola is cooked mixed in whatever dried fruit you have on hand.  Ours usually has some combination of raisins, dates, cranberries and whatever else I have on hand - mango, apricot, apples, papaya, pineapple etc.

Store in a container for about a week.  Enjoy with fresh almond milk slightly warmed up.



No comments:

Post a Comment