Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Habit Training

There are days when I feel like all I am doing is habit training.  (aka discipline!).  Habits we are currently working on:
  • Stay in bed until 7am
  • Tidy up your toys, crafts, clothes etc.
  • Look people in the eye when you are speaking to them or being spoken to
  • Obey the first time
  • Make things right when you have made things wrong (ask forgiveness, receive forgiveness and MOVE on!)
  • Speak politely - say please, thank you, you're welcome, excuse me
  • Use your words - tantrums, screaming and other "fits of rage" are not allowed
  • Sit at the table and use proper utensils when eating
  • "Yes Mommy", "Yes Daddy"
I know there are more but these ones stand out as the top priority at this stage.  It is a LOT of work.  But, I do believe (HOPE) that it will reap a rich reward of respectful, enjoyable and self-controlled children who grow into the same adults.  Children that I and others can enjoy.  Adults that can thrive.  I hope.

You know what the hardest part of habit training is?  Realizing that I need to develop most of these habits in myself!  Speak politely - I need to work on the words that come out of my mouth when I am frustrated!  Tidy up after yourself - yikes - don't look too hard at my kitchen or my pile of laundry!  However, the biggest habit I have learned and the one I have worked the hardest to instill in my children is to make things right when you have made things wrong.  I have apologized to my children more times then I can count - mostly for yelling.  Hopefully they will grow up knowing that there is grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment